Change in rules for betting on badminton
The BWF Council has approved significant amendments to Appendix 5 of the General Competition Regulations - the Code of Conduct in Relation to Betting, Wagering and Irregular Match Results.
This Code is for everyone in the sport. Please read this carefully and communicate the changes to players, coaches, team managers, technical officials and anyone volunteering and working on international competitions.
Among other changes - the new Code prohibits betting on badminton by players (who have competed in 3 international competitions), BWF staff, Continental Confederation staff and BWF Referees.
Please see the full document for the details (GCR Appendix 5). A few key points are made below.
Please see Article 3 - Corruption Offences and Article 4 Additional Matters for a full list of the offences under the Code. A few offences are highlighted below.
- It is an offence for any player who has competed in 3 international badminton events to bet on any badminton matches.
- It is an offence for BWF staff or Continental Confederation staff to bet on any badminton matches.
- It is an offence for BWF Referees to bet on any badminton matches.
- It is an offence (for anyone) not to report any betting, soliciting or behaviour that is an offence under the Code.
- It is an offence for anyone to tamper with or destroy evidence.
- It is an offence not to cooperate with investigations by the BWF.
Greater Powers to Investigate
The new Code gives the BWF greater powers to investigate allegations:
- If there is evidence of an offence under the code, BWF has the right to demand an interview with anyone in the sport.
- BWF now has much stronger powers to investigate allegations of match fixing. Those in the sport who are alleged to have committed an offence under the Code may be asked to hand over to investigators such things as mobile phones, laptop, telephone statements and records.
The principle of confidentiality shall be strictly respected by the BWF during investigation procedures. Information shall only be exchanged with entities on a need to know basis.
Confidentiality must also be strictly respected by any person concerned by the procedure until there is a public disclosure of the case.
Sanctions / Consequences
Significant sanctions or punishments apply to anyone who has committed an offence under this revised Code of Conduct.
In serious cases, this could mean banning from the sport of badminton for life.
In Nanning (China) is het Nederlandse team er net niet in geslaagd de laatste wedstrijd in groep 2A van de Sudirman Cup 2019 te…
21 mei 2019
It was very tough months for us... we were working so hard to make something for us, for the badminton in Bulgaria but we just…
21 mei 2019
Het lag in de lijn der verwachting, maar de Nederlandse topbadmintonners die deze week acteren tijdens de Sudirman Cup 2019 in…
20 mei 2019
Vandaag is de Sudirman Cup 2019 begonnen in Nanning (China) en de Nederlandse topbadmintonners zitten in de poule met Frankrijk,…
19 mei 2019
Bij de German International 2019 in Bonn zit het er op voor de jonge Nederlandse ploeg.
18 mei 2019
In Sportcentrum Mariahoeve in Den Haag heeft DKC net als vorig jaar de nationale beker gewonnen. In een spannende finale werd…
18 mei 2019
Gemeente Oosterhout, onder meer badmintonclub Oosterhout en Badminton Nederland organiseren op vrijdag 17 mei en zaterdag 18 mei…
16 mei 2019
Van zondag 19 tot met zondag 26 mei 2019 vindt in Nanning (China) de Sudirman Cup, het WK gemengde teams plaats. Nederland is…
15 mei 2019