National Badminton League targets world's biggest stars
Badminton England's chief executive Adrian Christy believes the country can become a hotbed of international talent after the success of the inaugural National Badminton League.
Team Derby were crowned champions at the K2 Crawley on Sunday bringing a close to the first season of the newly-formed league which includes shortened scoring, quick turnarounds and double-point 'power-plays'.
And Christy is confident that, as the league continues to grow, the format is one that will attract the world's best players to British shores. "One of the key drivers behind the NBL was about building profile and raising awareness of badminton - and we have achieved that," he said.
"Our expectation at the start of the year was to create a league that really captured the imagination of not only our existing fan base, but excite a whole new audience as well.
"The support of all six franchises, the quality of play, sports presentation and television coverage has made that happen. We have a product now that is incredibly exciting for the future of our sport.
"We we are working with the teams on a long term growth plan and from 2016/17, we will look to expand the NBL by at least one team, perhaps even going to a total of eight teams.
"Nothing is decided, but if we are to maximise the investment into, and reach of, the NBL, we have to look at securing global appeal.
"Therefore a key part of our thinking at the moment is exploring how the NBL can attract players not just from the UK and Europe but Asia as well."
Besides listening to the newly updated (and final) intro, new sound effects and also a brand new outro, here's what you can…
9 april 2020
Badminton Europe asked some of the European stars and talents to share their best memories from our beloved sport.
9 april 2020
Dutch player Soraya de Visch Eijbergen tries to stay fit amid the Covid-19 outbreak. She reveals her feelings at this challenging…
5 april 2020
At the European Men's and Women's Team Championships, the Netherlands achieved their first medal when winning the silver. In…
1 april 2020
De badmintonwereldbond heeft vandaag aangekondigd dat ze de wereldranglijsten en jeugdwereldranglijsten zal bevriezen tot nader…
31 maart 2020
De Olympische Spelen worden uitgesteld vanwege het coronavirus. Dat heeft het Canadese IOC-lid Dick Pound tegenover de…
23 maart 2020
Kirsten de Wit, Iris van Leijsen en Dyon van Wijlick zijn uitgenodigd om bij de Nationale S-1 selectie op Papendal te komen…
18 maart 2020
NOC*NSF adviseerde vanmiddag alle trainingscentra voor topsporters voorlopig te sluiten. Het trainingscentrum in Papendal gaat…
15 maart 2020
Meer artikelen over national badminton league
- Pro-shuttler Jacco Arends suffers ruptured meniscus during NBL match in England - Jacco Arends
- Team Derby Go Double Dutch With Olympic Bound Arends - Team Derby
- Stars bring a Euro vision to the NBL - Cheryl Seinen one of the stars! - NBL
- University of Nottingham Badminton go Dutch to land Yao Jie - National Badminton League
- University of Nottingham seeing double dutch - University of Nottingham
- Soraya de Visch Eijbergen als boegbeeld van de Nederlandse badmintonsport - Paul Kleijn
- Soraya de Visch Eijbergen and Eefje Muskens depart from Surrey Smashers - Surrey Smashers
- National Badminton League targets world's biggest stars - Yahoo Eurosport UK
- National Badminton League: Surrey Smashers thrash MK Badminton, Birmingham beat Derby - Sky Sports
- Smashers sign Dutch International De Visch Eijbergen - Surrey Sports Park